VMware has taken market by storm.
Gartner Group: by 2012, over 85% of datacenters will have virtualization in some form.
Virtualize your servers into one physical ESX box plus drive up server utilization.
1. Backups – No free processes for backups
2. ESX server – loss of one more catastrophic
3. Backup windows – shrinking
4. Data sets – growing
Methods used today to backup VMware:
1. Install backup agent in each VM machine; nothing changes from backup perspective; can do full and incremental backups and single-file restores
DISADVANTAGES: In production environment it impacts all other virtual machines on server; must maintain/upgrade all the virtual machine agents; cannot perform full VMDK-style restore.
2. Install backup agent on ESX server console.Simple.
DISADVANTAGES: Requires powering down virtual machines in production environment; incremental backups not possible.
3. VMware consolidated backups. Requires a VCB proxy server; configure to access same datastore sets as ESX server. ADVANTAGES: Offload workload from ESX server; full VMDK backups; incremental backups and single-file restores. DISADVANTAGES: Increased backup licensing costs; higher storage capacity costs; need for temporary staging area; might need several VCB proxy servers (10 or more).
Alternate approach: use underlying controller’s snapshot technology in Nseries. Instantaneous backup with no impact to ESX servers. Allows full & multiple VMDK backups; full & multiple datastores; backup/recover single file.
Key Info performs assessment to determine best backup approach. Some questions:
1. What is your Service Level Agreement?
2. What is your Recovery Point Objective?
3. How much data can you afford to loose?
4. What is your Recovery Time Objective?
5. How long can you be down?
6. Will the solution scale up?
7. What is your ROI objective?
Speaker: Phana Seng; Senior Storage Engineer; Key Information Systems, Inc.; email email@example.com
Duration : 0:7:19
Categories: Backup Solutions Tags: agent, Agreement, backup, backups, data, ESX, full, Gartner, Group, growing, incremental, level, Objective, Phana, Point, proxy, recovery, restore, ROI, scalable, Seng, server, servers, service, sets, shrinking, single-file, Solution, solutions, time, utilization, VCB, virtualization, VMDK, vmware, windows
Picking A Good Web Host – there are a number of web hosts out there today, sometimes picking the right one can be overwhelming and confusing.
Duration : 0:7:5
PEER 1 Growing Pains Episode 1 – ‘Daddy’s Little Girl.’ Hilarious video series about web hosting. Episode 1 ‘Daddy’s Little Girl’ finds Todd brings home a surprise for Janet. “This is going to grow into something beautiful,” exclaims Todd. He’s right. Well, sort of.
Duration : 0:1:53
Click here for the latest promo link http://tr.im/FLB8 or compare the top 3 providers http://www.hostingmarker.com/index.php
Duration : 0:2:16